The San Juan Islands present an idyllic family getaway destination with scenic landscapes and fresh ocean air. Still, finding things to do with kids can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially with so many options! And even though they seem to have infinite energy, children can burn out quickly if they become bored. As we make our way closer to summer, many families will be looking for new ways to bond and make memories during a much-needed retreat. To help guide you on keeping everyone engaged and having fun, the team at Northwest Island Escapes compiled a quick list of San Juan Island kids’ activities the whole family can enjoy.
Family Activities in the San Juan Islands
Whether you have toddlers or teenagers, your kids will love exploring the San Juan Islands. There is a wide range of attractions and things to do, so it’s worth planning how to spend your time. The good news is that you’ll have a stunning collection of vacation rentals on San Juan, Orcas, and Lopez Islands that will put you close enough to the action. It’s no surprise that our beloved archipelago is a regional vacation hub.
San Juan Island Memories | 5 Things to Do With Kids
From outdoor adventures to indoor educational entertainment, the San Juan Islands are teeming with things to do that will keep everyone busy. Whether your kiddos want to learn about marine life or spend time at Moran State Park, the possibilities are endless! Here are five of our favorites!
- The Whale Museum in Friday Harbor is a San Juan Island staple. This educational mainstay features two floors of exhibits, including an extensive natural history gallery, artwork, models, and artifacts. If your kids would rather learn by seeing living specimens, there are several whale watching and other wildlife tours throughout the islands.
- The San Juan Islands have three different skateparks, one on each island. Surf concrete at Orcas Island Skatepark, see a pro demo at Lopez Skatepark, or catch air at San Juan County Fairgrounds Skatepark in Friday Harbor. Rip it up!
- The Lime Kiln Lighthouse on San Juan Island is just one of many iconic lighthouses scattered throughout the Salish Sea. Lime Kiln takes visitors one step further by providing insightful tours, an interpretive center, and family activities.
- Kayaking along the island shores is an immersive way to reconnect with your family and the great outdoors. There are several kayaking tours and rental companies from which to choose.
- Moran State Park is arguably the San Juan Islands’ most comprehensive outdoor adventure area. You can hike trails, try fishing, go swimming, have a picnic, launch your boat, or visit Mount Constitution, the highest point in the San Juans!
San Juan Islands Vacation Rentals
Now that you have a few ideas of things to do on the San Juan Islands with kids, it’s time to choose your home base! With vacation rentals on Lopez Island, Orcas Island, and San Juan Island, Northwest Island Escapes is here to provide your home away from home and easy access to all types of family activities. To start planning your family getaway on the San Juan Islands, please visit us online or call 800-391-8190 today!